Just a short train ride west of Kamakura, Enoshima (江の島) is a delightful island just off the coast, easily connected by a bridge to the mainland. This petite island boasts a mix of attractions, from shrines and parks to an observation tower and intriguing caves. On clear days, catch breathtaking glimpses of Mount Fuji. So, get ready to explore this friendly island and make some fantastic memories!
Day 0: Preparing for your visit
- Get the Enoshima 1-Day combo ticket
Ryu from Tripadvisor suggests getting the Enoshima 1-Day combo ticket. Priced at 750 yen, this ticket grants access to key attractions like the garden, observation tower, and caves, along with escalator usage. Conveniently obtain it at tourist information desks or the escalator ticket office.
Day 1: Arrival in Enoshima
- Arrive in Enoshima and check into your accommodation.
- Enjoy a traditional Japanese breakfast at a local cafe.
As you arrive in Enoshima in the morning, the island welcomes you with a serene coastal charm. Check into your accommodation and kickstart your day with a delightful Japanese breakfast at a local cafe (there’s plenty around!). After filling up, you are all set to explore Enoshima’s cultural richness and nearby attractions, all under the morning sun.
- Visit Enoshima Shrine, a historic Shinto shrine located on the island.
- Explore the enchanting Samuel Cocking Garden with its lush greenery and scenic views.
In the late morning on your Enoshima adventure, step into history at the Enoshima Shrine. A sacred emblem of Shinto tradition, this historic shrine enchants with its spiritual aura and cultural resonance.
Next it’s time to visit the enchanting Samuel Cocking Garden in Enoshima, a mere stroll from the historic Enoshima Shrine. Immerse yourself in lush greenery and captivating scenic views. This haven, just a short distance away, offers a serene escape, complementing the shrine visit with a delightful blend of nature and cultural exploration.
- Head to Enoshima Sea Candle, an observation tower with panoramic views of the Sagami Bay and Mount Fuji.
- Lunch at a seaside restaurant with fresh seafood.
It’s afternoon time already! Embark on an awe-inspiring journey to Enoshima Sea Candle, an observation tower commanding panoramic views of Sagami Bay and the iconic Mount Fuji. As you ascend, the vastness unfolds, offering a breathtaking vista that captures the essence of Enoshima’s coastal beauty and the majesty of Mount Fuji on clear days.
Indulge in a delectable seaside experience during lunch at one of Enoshima’s charming waterfront restaurants. Savor the freshest seafood delights while overlooking the tranquil waters. Whether it’s succulent sushi, grilled fish, or local specialties, this culinary escapade promises a taste of Enoshima’s coastal charm, leaving your taste buds delighted.
- Stroll through Enoshima’s vibrant streets, filled with shops and local vendors.
- Enjoy a relaxing evening on the beach or at a seaside onsen (hot spring) if available.
Start the evening by taking a leisurely stroll through the lively streets of Enoshima, brimming with charming shops and local vendors. Immerse yourself in the vibrant atmosphere, discovering unique treasures, from handmade crafts to local delicacies. This enchanting walk offers a delightful blend of culture and local flavors, making it a must-experience part of your Enoshima journey.
Unwind later in the evening with a serene beach experience or indulge in the popular seaside onsen, if available. The tranquil sound of the waves provides the perfect backdrop for a relaxing beach evening, while the coastal onsen offers a rejuvenating soak, adding an extra touch of bliss to your Enoshima retreat.
Day 2: Kamakura Excursion
- Visit the iconic Great Buddha (Daibutsu) at Kotoku-in Temple.
For your next day embark on a cultural excursion by visiting the iconic Great Buddha (Daibutsu) at Kotoku-in Temple. Towering at 13.35 meters, this awe-inspiring bronze statue is a symbol of Kamakura’s rich history and spiritual significance. Take a moment to absorb the tranquil atmosphere and marvel at the grandeur of this historical masterpiece.
- Explore Hase-dera Temple, known for its beautiful gardens and unique Kannon statue.
- Have lunch at a local restaurant, savoring Kamakura’s famous shirasu (small fish) dishes.
When it reaches midday visit the Hase-dera Temple, celebrated for its exquisite gardens and a distinctive Kannon statue. The lush landscapes and meticulously designed scenery create a serene ambiance, making it a serene escape. Admire the unique Kannon statue, adding a spiritual touch to your exploration of Kamakura’s cultural gems.
And then when you’re feeling hungry indulge your taste buds with a delectable lunch at a local restaurant, relishing Kamakura’s renowned shirasu (small fish) dishes. From sushi to tempura, these culinary delights showcase the region’s fresh seafood.
Afternoon and Evening
- Wander through the charming streets of Komachi-dori, lined with shops and cafes.
- Visit Tsurugaoka Hachimangu Shrine, a significant Shinto shrine in Kamakura.
Next work off your food coma by taking a leisurely stroll through the captivating streets of Komachi-dori, adorned with charming shops and inviting cafes. The bustling atmosphere and quaint storefronts create a delightful setting for exploration. Absorb the local charm as you wander, with each step revealing unique treasures and a vibrant snapshot of Kamakura’s cultural allure.
And then finish off your day by visiting the esteemed Tsurugaoka Hachimangu Shrine. This significant Shinto shrine stands as a symbol of the city’s spiritual heritage, with its grand architecture and historic significance. Take a moment for reflection and exploration as you delve into the sacred ambiance of this revered Kamakura landmark.
Day 3: Outdoor Adventures
- Explore the Enoshima Aquarium, showcasing marine life from Sagami Bay.
- Engage in water activities like paddleboarding or kayaking along the coast.
Uncover the wonders of marine life from Sagami Bay at the Enoshima Aquarium. This captivating attraction opens its doors at 10 am and is a perfect morning destination, it offers a fascinating introduction to the diverse underwater world just off the coast of Enoshima and further.
I hope you brought togs! Finish off your monring by diving into the coastal thrill with water activities like paddleboarding or kayaking.
- Enjoy a seaside picnic or dine at a beachside restaurant.
- Relax on the beach or take a coastal hike.
Once you’re back on land enjoy a seaside picnic or savoring flavors at a beachside restaurant. Let the soothing sound of waves be your backdrop as you enjoy a delightful meal, embracing the relaxed atmosphere of Enoshima’s shoreline. Whether it’s a casual picnic or a charming beachside eatery, the coastal vibes enhance the dining experience.
Spend the rest of the day relaxing on the beach or taking a coastal hike, such as the Jogashima Island or Cape Irozaki Trail.
For your final night, dive into the lively Enoshima nightlife. Explore local bars, where the atmosphere is as diverse as the drinks they serve. Alternatively, immerse yourself in the island’s cultural vibe by attending events, adding a touch of local flair to your evening escapade in this vibrant Japanese coastal haven.
Travel Plan: Enoshima and Kamakura
Day 1: Arrival in Enoshima
- Start: Tokyo Station
- Take a train (e.g., JR Tokaido Line) to Kamakura Station.
- Transfer to Enoshima Electric Railway to Enoshima Station.
- Accommodation: Check into your accommodation.
- Breakfast: Walk to a local cafe for breakfast.
Late Morning: Enoshima Attractions
- Walk to Enoshima Shrine.
- Head to Samuel Cocking Garden.
- Lunch: Lunch at a seaside restaurant.
Afternoon: More Enoshima Exploration
- Visit Enoshima Sea Candle.
- Explore Enoshima’s vibrant streets.
Day 2: Kamakura Excursion
- Morning: Take a ferry from Enoshima to Kamakura (If staying in Enoshima)
- Visit the Great Buddha at Kotoku-in Temple.
- Explore Hase-dera Temple.
- Lunch: Have lunch in Kamakura (mention local shirasu dishes).
- Wander through Komachi-dori.
Afternoon: Tsurugaoka Hachimangu Shrine
- Visit Tsurugaoka Hachimangu Shrine.
- Return to Enoshima for the evening.
Day 3: Outdoor Adventures
- Morning: Explore the Enoshima Aquarium.
- Engage in water activities along the coast.
- Afternoon: Seaside picnic or dine at a beachside restaurant.
- Evening: Experience vibrant Enoshima nightlife.
Day 4: Departure
- Morning: Take a leisurely walk around Enoshima.
- Visit any missed spots.
- Check out: Check out and head to Enoshima Electric Railway station.
- Departure: Depart from Enoshima.
Bonus: Mount Fuji
For a delightful added bonus during your Enoshima escapade, turn your gaze towards the majestic Mount Fuji on those particularly clear days. Head over to the island’s observation tower, where panoramic views await, providing a splendid backdrop of Fuji against the Japanese landscape. It’s a visual treat that elevates your Enoshima experience, making those days with optimal visibility an extra special memory to savor.
Check out the map below to see all the places you can view Mount Fuji on a clear day in and around Enoshima.